Re: OUAI = "DAMN"?

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 00:50:18 EDT

On Mon 14 Sep 98 (14:28:53), jonathan@texcel.no wrote:
> Some knowledge of the Andrews Sisters may be necessary for an adequate
> understanding of the Bible, e.g. when discussing the Seven Bugle Boys
> in the Revelation.

 The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy? "Beat me daddy, eight to the bar!".

 All my available English versions have "woe" for OUAI in Rev 8:13 and 9:12,
 except the "Good News Bible" ("Today's English Version": the one with the
 line drawings by Annie Vialotton) which translates "horror" and "horrors".

 "Horror" comes from the Latin /horresco/, the standing up of the hairs on
 the nape of the neck. Horror me harum tubarum [shudder]; or is it Harum
 Scarum? The Vulgate has /vae vae vae/ (transliteration of OUAI). I suppose
 the Latin for OUAI is /Eheu/.

 Eheu... <sigh>

 Ben

--