Direct Speech

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 13:35:25 EDT

In Acts 14:22 KAI hOTI introduces either indirect or direct speech. More than
one translation (e.g., ASV) translates the verse as indirect speech. I am
intrigued by this because it seems to me that the first person pronoun hHMAS
is a positive indicator that this is direct speech.

What am I missing here? How could this be construed as indirect speech? What
are the most important indicators that mark the distinction between direct and
indirect speech?

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062