Re: Holy Spirit and indications of grammar

From: Craig Cottongim (christianos@juno.com)
Date: Sun Sep 20 1998 - 01:19:12 EDT

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 10:59:43 -0400 Dan Ebert <dellbert@buckeyenet.net>
writes:
>Is the Holy Spirit referred to 'grammatically' as a person? Does it
>have
>the proper 'grammatical' indicators for being a person?

I am not sure how much this will help, but I am interested in this
question also ;-)

"The personalty of the Holy Spirit is emphasized at the expense of strict
grammatical procedure in JN 14:26, 15:26, 16:8, 13, 14, where the
empathic pronoun EKEINOS, "He", is used of Him in the masculine, whereas
the noun PNEUMA is neuter in Greek..."
 Vine's complete expository dictionary of the Old & New Testament, pg
594 under "Spirit".

Also, what is meant by, "at the expense of strict grammatical procedure"

Craig