Re: HELP: Paul and the greek word musterion

From: Jim Oxford (
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 16:23:13 EDT

At 11:30 PM 9/22/98, Dax Hughes wrote:

>I am currently working on a paper dealing with Paul's usage of
>musterion(mystery) Most scholars claim it originates with the mystery
>religions. i am looking for sources that deal with musterion in detail.
>Anty suggestions friends?

In addition to the recommended pieces by Brown and Caragounis, I would also
recommend the following:

--Coppens, Joseph. "Mystery in the Theology of St. Paul and Its Parallels
at Qumran." In Paul and the Dead Sea Scrolls. Ed. Jerome Murphy
O'Connor, 132-158. New York: Crossroad Publishing Company, 1990.

--Harvey, A. E. "The Use of Mystery Language in the Bible." Journal of
Theological Studies 31 (1980): 320-336.

--Brown, Raymond. "The Pre-Christian Semitic Concept of Mystery." CBQ 20
(1958): 416-443.

Jim Oxford
PhD Candidate in NT
Baylor University