Re: HELP: Paul and the greek word musterion

Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 16:33:18 EDT

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 23:30:37 -0500, you wrote:

> I am currently working on a paper dealing with Paul's usage of musterion(mystery) Most scholars claim it > originates with the mystery religions. i am looking for sources that deal with musterion in detail. Anty > suggestions friends?

I wish I could help ~ I have wondered about that term as well.

It shows up in John 11 with the PARA prefix, and translates commonly
as 'console'. [PARAMUQHSONTAI if I am remembering correctly] It
always seemed like a really big word for such a small meaning, yet if
it connects to its roots in mystery-religion, then perhaps it is
indicating more than just console. I have wondered if the Lazarus
event took place in an Essenian community, and if so, would the
Essenes qualify as a MUSTERION, and hence the alternative
understanding of this term with PARA in John 11?

As this is wandering off topic for b-greek, off list responses would
be more appropriate amd greatly appreciated.

Lisa Messmer..................ICQ# 5666415
George Blaisdell

Have you seen Dulcie? Look for her Heart!

Last Chance for Animals...Fight Pet Theft!