Re: Acts 7:59

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 19:22:38 EDT

I think it is better to take EPIKALOUMENON to be a temporal participle of
contemporaneous action in conjunction with ELIQOBOLOUN and that it's object
is not stated but is contextually understood to be KURIOS or QEOS

At 05:39 PM 9/28/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings All:
>I have a novice-type matter to place before you concerning Acts 7:59.
>that Stephen was a "calling-upon-Stephen," while he was being stoned?
>I'm not stating this well at all, but the text itself doesn't indicate
>who he was calling upon at that point. Some translations insert "God"
>after the accusative participle; others use "Jesus," or "the Lord,"
>taking their cues (I assume) from the context. I take the Greek to be
>saying that say that Stephen was in a "calling-upon" mode while he was
>being stoned. Is there any justification for this?
>Theodore "Ted" H. Mann
>Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
>Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
>B-Greek home page:
>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: []
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>To subscribe, send a message to

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX) (preferred) (alternate)