Re: What to Read Next?

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 02:49:48 EDT wrote:
> Having read Carson's "Exegetical Fallacies" -and taken its admonitions to
> heart-, I have been trying to determine how to perform a proper 'Word
> Strudy'. I am somewhat uncomfortable with the term, being that many word
> study methods have propagated various errors. I continue my reading with
> Louw's "Semantics...", but its emphasis is similar to Carson's, and I
> don't feel that I'm gaining a method for approaching the text at the word
> level.

Back in 1990-91 I read everything I could get my hands on regarding lexical
semantics. One book now stands at the top of my personal list on this subject:
Moises Silva, Biblical Words and their Meaning: An Introduction to Lexical
Semantics, Zondervan 1983, revised ed. 1994. This is a work you should own
since you will want to read it several times to absorb the contents

The runner up, is a book that describes the theory behind the famous Semantic
Domain Lexicon: J. P. Louw and E. A. Nida, Lexical Semantics of New Testament
Greek, Scholars Press, 1992.

If you want to see how all the elements of exegesis are put together using a
test case then read: Silva, Moises, Explorations in Exegetical Method:
Galatians as a Test Case, Baker, 1996.

A note of caution:

After reading all of this and other works you will probably still need to
develop your own method of exegesis. I have tried numerous times in vain to
follow the patterns described by text books on exegesis, for example the
famous book by Gordon Fee. I have always failed in these attempts. I think
these books are of great value for laying down guidelines but like the Mosaic
Law, one usually ends up breaking most of the rules most of the time.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062