Re: Southern Translation

From: Mary L B Pendergraft (
Date: Sun Oct 11 1998 - 19:33:45 EDT

At 04:16 PM 10/9/98 -0400, Mark QL Louderback wrote:
>I present this, not to start a debate over whether the KJV should be
>discarded or any such thing like that. But be honest: how many of
>you instructors teach you (s) and y'all (pl)? Hmmm? As America
>becomes more and more Southern, I look forward to seeing future
>Greek Grammar's...and what they use for 2nd person plural forms.
>Y'all take care!

Well, I for one teach that distinction, and it comes very naturally to most
of my students here in NC. (The rest laugh and look uncomfortable.)
In the South we can distinguish aorist and present imperatives, too. My
friend who grew up in NY state laughs about the first time she heard,
"Don't be having too much fun!"--clearly present.

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109-7343
336-758-5331 (NOTE: this is a new number)