Re: Ceslas Spicq

From: Jonathan Robie (
Date: Sat Oct 24 1998 - 12:14:31 EDT

At 12:14 AM 10/24/98 +0000, Jim West wrote:
>At 02:13 PM 10/23/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>Greetings Grecians;
>>Can anyone share with me information on Ceslas Spicq and his lexiconary
>>I would appreciate any insight.
>It is more along the lines of a series of word studies concerned with the
>more "important" words than a lexicon per se. It is sort of akin to the
>TDNT, but much shorter (3 vols). I personally like it very much because he
>makes incredible use of a wide range of documents in his drive to explicate
>various words.
It's also a much easier and interesting read than TDNT, and more up to
date. Say, I just noticed who the translator is - this was translated by
James Ernest, who hangs out here on B-Greek! Perhaps he can comment further
on Spicq.

I also notice, courtesy of, that a certain James Ernest wrote a
book entitled "Contact Juggling". I wonder if it is the same person?

Texcel Research