Re: Pluperfect in John 7:30

From: Carlton Winbery (
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 10:16:03 EST

Carl Conrad wrote;

>hHKW is termed a "perfective present" because it is conjugated as a present
>tense but is translated with the sense of a perfect: "I have come"; it has
>an imperfect, and I have seen a future hHXW, but there are no forms in any
>other tense system, to my knowledge.
Carl, This word occurs in the NT in the present, future and once as an
aorist. In Mark 6:3 we have the word, hHKASIN, which could be the perfect
act 3rd pl with the two K coalesced or, as I prefer, the pres. act ind. 3rd
pl that "borrowed," at the writers hand, the perfect ending from the 4th

The aorist form can be found with a search. But I have one aor. form hHXA
listed in my morphology.

Carlton L. Winbery Fogleman Professor of Religion Louisiana College Pineville, LA 71359