Re: transgressions

From: Randy LEEDY (
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 11:53:12 EST

Yes, Mary, I like your suggestion ESTIN="it is possible" very much,
and I see it supported in BAGD. A definite improvement, I'd say. And I
think we're much in line with Carl's second suggestion. And
Lightfoot's translation also reflects this understanding, though it's
a bit freer and more idiomatic English. I wonder if Bart is seeing
some difficulty that prevents this construction of the grammar?
Tomorrow's digest will bring me up to speed on anything I may have
missed by being out of the loop up until now.

At 10:48 AM 2/17/99 -0500, Randy LEEDY wrote:
>Bart Ehrman inquired:
>>Does anyone want to explain to me how s/he understands the grammar
>>Clement 2:6: ti oun estin poiesantas epituchein auton, ei me to
>>kai dikaios anastrephesthai?
>I finally found the passage at V.6 (Lightfoot's edition), and using W
>for omega and H for eta, the passage reads TI OUN ESTIN POIHSANTAS
>I understand the grammar as follows:
>TI - object of POIHSANTAS
>ESTIN - existential use (no complement: "it exists")

What about ESTIN = "it is possible"?