Re: Romans 5:12 EF hW

From: Mary L B Pendergraft (
Date: Sun Feb 21 1999 - 09:45:22 EST

At 11:45 PM 2/20/99, Bill Ross wrote:
>Hi, I've been away for a while, up to my neck in other alligators, so if
>anyone has addressed anything to me and found it unanswered, please try
>I find myself in need of your expertise...
>In Romans 5:12, Paul writes EF hW PANTES hHMARTON, commonly translated "for
>that all sinned."
>If I'm not mistaken, this is literally "upon which all sinned."
>Is the EF hW part used anywhere else in Scripture?
>Or is it a common construct outside of the Scriptures?
>What other possibile translations might it support?

One of my students wrote a first-rate paper on this very difficult phrase
last semester, and I've asked him to summarize his research for you. I
hope we'll hear from him soon.

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109-7343
336-758-5331 (NOTE: this is a new number)