Re: Married Only Once

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 03:25:15 EST

At 06:44 AM 2/24/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Denny Diehl here
>This past weekend I was looking at the NRSV and
>noticed that MIAS GUNAIKOS ANDRA in 1 Tim 3:2
>was translated "married only once", which suggests
>the meaning "one marriage for a life time" instead of
>"one marriage at a time".

I take this little phrase a little differently than some. I think it is
quite proper to translate "a one woman man". Now, I presume, everyone knows
what a one woman man is- a man who is faithful to his marriage partner.
This neither prohibits marriage after the death of a spouse nor divorce and
faithfulness to the new marriage partner.

And now- to the mass of disagreers--- "bring it on"-- :-)

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology