Re: Married Only Once

From: Jonathan Robie (
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 15:35:18 EST

At 12:18 PM 2/24/99 -0800, John Chan wrote:
>Some claimed that "one-woman man" is mainly against the prevalent polygamy.
>I don't think so. If that is true, then similarly, "one-man woman" in the
>case of widows would be against polygamy of the widows. I am no expert in
>anthropology, but I don't think one-woman many-men polygamy ever was a
>common social pattern.
When I was in college, I think we studied one culture that was polyandrous.
If a guy went to the door, he was supposed to look to see if there was a
pair of men's shoes there already; only one guy was supposed to enter the
dwelling at any given time.

I can't remember exactly what culture this was...but I'm pretty sure they
didn't speak Greek.

Texcel Research