Re: Married Only Once

Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 10:37:04 EST

Carl, Denny Diehl here

>>>This past weekend I was looking at the NRSV and
>>>noticed that MIAS GUNAIKOS ANDRA in 1 Tim 3:2
>>>was translated "married only once", which suggests
>>>the meaning "one marriage for a life time" instead of
>>>"one marriage at a time".

>there is linguistic influence at play here, that this conception
>of fidelity is Hellenistic and finds expression in the Latin adj
>UNIVIRA that is found on the grave-inscriptions of many a
>Roman matron, indicating that the lady in question was "a
>one-man woman"

Meaning that she was married only once? John Chrysostom's
father died when his mother, Anthousa, was only 20, leaving
her with two children. She was resolute in rejecting a second
marriage, raising their children on her own. My question, then,
is: does MIAS GUNAIKOS ANDRA demand such a meaning
(or more correctly hENOS ANDROS GUNA in her case)?

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]