Re: Married Only Once

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 10:45:47 EST

Another question. Does it mean that an "episcopos" MUST be married? I've
been given this as the reason why being a bachelor, I cannot pastor (even
though I've served as an associate pastor).

At 09:37 AM 2/24/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Carl, Denny Diehl here
>>there is linguistic influence at play here, that this conception
>>of fidelity is Hellenistic and finds expression in the Latin adj
>>UNIVIRA that is found on the grave-inscriptions of many a
>>Roman matron, indicating that the lady in question was "a
>>one-man woman"
>Meaning that she was married only once? John Chrysostom's
>father died when his mother, Anthousa, was only 20, leaving
>her with two children. She was resolute in rejecting a second
>marriage, raising their children on her own. My question, then,
>is: does MIAS GUNAIKOS ANDRA demand such a meaning
>(or more correctly hENOS ANDROS GUNA in her case)?
>Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
>or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
>B-Greek home page:
>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as:
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>To subscribe, send a message to

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX) (preferred) (alternate)