Re: Interlinear Bibles

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Mar 14 1999 - 17:19:30 EST

> Greetings All:
>
> Apparently interlinear bibles are not in great favor with
> biblical-language scholars, judging from comments made in prior postings,
> but I wonder if anyone has taken a close look at them, and would care to
> venture an opinion as to which he/she considers to be the best, if such a
> determination is possible. I am in the market to make a purchase and I
> would like to choose well, if possible. I am interested in BOTH
> testaments. Many thanks.
>
> Theodore "Ted" Mann
> thmann@juno.com

Ted,

J.P. Green has done a lot with interlinears in both testaments. Keep in
mind however that he is a Textus Receptus advocate and his NT is based
on the TBS edition of the TR. Also, Green's renderings of the original
language tend to reflect a rather outmoded approach to lexical
semantics. His literal version of the whole bible is among the
curiosites that I have in my library.

I have no objection to people owning an interlinear as long as they
don't use it. :-)))

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew