Problems with Jude

From: Theodore H Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 17:22:56 EST

B-Greekers:

I have translated my way through John, 1 John, 1 Thess., and large chunks
of several other documents, all (so far) without overwhelming difficulty.
 However, Jude leaves me a little breathless. For example, the first word
in verse 6 (TOUS AGGELOUS) is apparently the object of the last word in
that verse (TETHRHKEN), with some 20 words in between. Attempting to
keep Jude's word order somewhat intact, verse 6 seems to loosely
translate something like: "And the angels--the ones who have not kept
their own domain, but have left their own habitation--in eternal bonds
under darkness for the judgment of the great day, He has kept." I
understand, of course, that word order in Greek is directly related to
what the writer wants to emphasize, but most of the writers I have
encountered so far seem to keep their subjects and predicates in a little
closer proximity to each other. No doubt, my problem is that I'm just a
self-taught little Greek, but I'm curious to know from the experts if
Jude is considered to be a particularly difficult letter to translate,
and if so, why. Is Jude considered to have been really fluent in Greek,
or somewhat awkward? Many thanks.

Theodore "Ted" Mann
Orchard Lake, Michigan
thmann@juno.com