Re: Galatians 2:20

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 11:21:29 EDT

Eric Weiss wrote;

>A couple more thoughts or questions re: this verse.
>
>What kind of "EN" are we dealing with in EN PISTEI? A skim-through (without
>a Greek concordance, unfortunately!) seems to show that when Paul means one
>lives "by" or "through" faith (i.e., instrumental), he uses EK PISTEWS or,
>less often, DIA PISTEWS. I couldn't find another EN PISTEI in my brief
>run-through (except I Timothy 1:2, which is a different usage).
>
>Does he use EN here because he just used EN in EN SARKI, though he means an
>instrumental dative? I.e., "But [or: And] in that [or: but the life that] I
>now am living with reference to the [or: in this] flesh (i.e., dative of
>sphere or reference), I am living by [means of] faith ..."
>
>(I take "flesh" here to have the negative connotations it has elsewhere in
>this epistle, as opposed to simply meaning "living in a body" - any
>thoughts on that?)
>
>OR - is EN PISTEI, like EN SARKI, likewise a dative of reference or sphere,
>i.e., "But in that I now am living in this flesh, I am living in the sphere
>of faith - the Son of God's faith [who lives in me]"

It appears from a quick look at Paul with Accordance that this is possibly
the only use of EN PISTEI as instrumental in the main Pauline letters.
There are several possible such uses in the Pastorals. Conversely, there
are a number of uses of EK PISTEWS as instrumental in the main Pauline
letters and not one in the Pastorals. A most interesting result.
Never-the-less I do think that EN PISTEI in Gal. 2:20 is instrumental.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
Pineville, LA 71359