Galatians 2:20

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Thu Apr 01 1999 - 14:51:53 EST

"...EN PISTEI ZW THi TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU..."

Is it possible or likely that Paul phrased it this way (as opposed to EN
PISTEI ZW TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU, e.g.) because he meant the subjective
genitive, i.e.,

"...I live by faith(fulness), that is, the Son of God's faith(fulness)..."

Dunn, I believe, argues based on hHMEIS EIS CRISTON IHSOUN EPISTEUSAMEN
(2:16) that PISTEWS CRISTOU IHSOU in 2:16 and PISTEI...TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU
(2:20) are objective genitives equivalent to faith in (EIS) Christ. I'm not
sure anymore, and am tending, like David Alan Black and Norman Wright, to
see the PISTIS IHSOU CRISTOU phrases here and in Romans as subjective
genitives, i.e., Christ's faith(fulness).

I guess I'm asking why the "THi" in 2:20, and if grammatically this
supports the subjective genitive meaning (or maybe says nothing either
way).