Re: Syntax of Mark 2:2

From: George Blaisdell (
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 20:59:29 EDT

>From: C. Navarro

>The sentence is very clear to me.

>so that neither the house nor the courtyard
>could contain them anymore.

Senor Navarro ~

When I read your posts [like this one], my joy is full indeed! And I
can tell you, at least speaking for myself, I struggle much less with
your English than with Greek! Your English is just fine!!

>The Greeks use sparingly words that mean things like "situation",

>"household", and other abstract words. Instead of these words, they

>a sentence to explain the concept. That sentence is always preceded

>an article. The construction is that of a PROSDIORISMON without the
>OUSIASTIKON, i.e., a qualifying phrase without the name that means
>"situation", "courtyard", or "household". For instance, instead of

saying "The
>of the war", Greeks say TA TOU POLEMOU. Instead of saying "the king's

>the they say hOI PARA BASILEWS. Finally, instead of saying
>'the courtyard", they say "TA PROS THN QURAN". In all these examples
>(from the litterature, but don't ask me to give the exact citation),

you have
>the PROSDIORISMOS without the OUSIASTIKON, i.e., attributes (this is

>Carl calls PROSDIORISMON) without the corresponding name, that
>may be a situation, the courtyard, or the household. Since the

>"TA PROS THN QURAN" can qualify only "courtyard", why make it

Why indeed!! This is priceless! I can't get the smile off my face.

>Greek and many other languages (like my mother tongue, Portuguese)

>leave out the subject when it is obvious from the meaning of the

verb. Then,
>the "house" is the subject of XWREIN (what else could contain

>This subject is not expressed. Translate: Neither the house could

not contain them.
>Mark goes on: nor the courtyard (could contain them). MHDE = nor,

unless my
>faulty knowledge of English is betraying me..
>TA PROS THN QURAN= The places in front of the door= courtyard.
>The PROSDIORISMON (the qualifying expression) PROS THN QURAN is
>expressed, but the OUSIASTIKA "places" are not. OUSIASTIKA is
>what you English speakers call names, I think.

I think so too!! :-)

>I don't know English grammar notation. Therefore, I use Greek

>I hope that I have not been obscure in doing so. In any case, I am

>that if I was not clear enough, I will find somebody in the B-List

>will be kind enough to improve my explanation.

You are sure improving our Greek!!!

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit