Re: Third century manuscript

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 00:11:21 EDT

> Dear members of the B-Greek language
> I am doing an informal research on the name of Jesus. I know that
> the oldest manuscripts of the Greek New Testament are from the third
> century. I also heard (from Dr. Costa) that with computers, Internet
> and things like that I can easily gain access to copies old manuscripts.
> Could Moon-Ryul Jung, who work with computer science, tell me how
> to get a copy of a third century manuscript?
> Thank you very much for helping
> C. Navarro

C. Navarro,

Laying hands on an etext of NT manuscripts may be a bit of a chore.
However, printed texts are available. For example:

The Complete Text of the Earliest New Testament Manuscripts
  Edited by Philip W. Comfort & David P. Barrett

  CBD Price: 24.95

I think this book only contains the papyri. So if you want to see the
Uncials you will have to go to other sources. There was a paper back
edition of Codex Bezae edited by Scrivener (sp?) running around a while
ago, may still be in print.

Also, you could always rely on the apparatus in NA27 which is what most
people do.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062