Re: Mk 2:21

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Apr 18 1999 - 06:35:11 EDT

Dear Carl,
thanks for your kind answers to my questions.
But they force me to ask some clarifying questions.

> >EI DE MH, AIREI TO PLHRWMA AP' AUTOU TO KAINON TOU PALAIOU KAI
> >CEIRON SCISMA GINETAI.
> >

>To sum up the alternataives:
>
> (a) TO PLHRWMA (the whole patched garment, which shrinks after being washed
> and dried) pulls the new (piece of cloth) away from the old (piece of
> cloth);

In that case, how should we take AP' AUTOU ? Does it modify TO PLHRWMA as
adjective? But the expression "The fullness from that" seems difficult to
understand.

> OR
>
> (b) TO PLHRWMA TO KAINON--the new patch pulls away from it--AIREI--from the
> old--TOU PALAIOU. This is somewhat awkward and requires AIREI to be
> understood either absolutely or with an only implied object. If this is
> what was intended, then we must understand TO KAINON TOU PALAIOU as a
> quasi-parenthetical clarification of the meaning of AIREI TO PLHRWMA AP'
> AUTOU: "the patch pulls away from it, i.e., the new piece from the old."

I like this option better.

> >3) In CEIRON SCISMA GINETAI, is SCISMA the subject of GINETAI?

> Most likely, yes, and in that case CEIRON will be a predicate adjective:
> "the tear gets worse."

But in this case, I would expect an article in front of SCISMA. Can we
omit it?

Respectfully,

Moon-Ryul Jung
Assistant Professor