Re: (To Carl) Two routes to the passive voice

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 17 1999 - 16:35:50 EDT

At 1:03 PM -0400 4/17/99, Jim West wrote:
>But I digress. I still suggest that the best way to read the NT is to read
>it as a collection of Jewish documents which happen to have been written (or
>maybe here we should say preserved) in Greek. Greek language documents no
>more indicate greek influence than english language documents found in
>Alabama indicate British culture.

No, certainly English language documents found in Alabama don't indicate
British culture--but those English language documents are readable and
understandable to English-language speakers in England, Australia, South
Africa, or New Zealand, and the patterns of thinking grammatically are the
same, for all the difference of pronunciation between speakers in those
areas. Meleager and Lucian grew up in Syria and wrote a Greek that could be
understood by Palestinian Greek-speakers as surely as the New Testament
could be read by Meleager and Lucian. I think your argument, Jim, was
originally that the grammatical structures of NT Greek writers had more to
do with their Jewish background than with the fact that the wrote in Greek.
With all due respect, that's the argument I found very dubious.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu