Re: Lexicon of the Papyri and Koine

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campuscw.net)
Date: Sun Apr 18 1999 - 15:58:35 EDT

Moulton and Milligan's _Vocabulary of the Greek New Testament_ is a good
source for the papyri . Robertson finished his "Big Grammar" in 1912 and it
was printed in 1914. In 1912 the only real lexicon around was Thayer's
translation of Winer's. Grenfell and Hunt had just published their finding
of the papyri at Oxyrhynchus in 1898 and were still in the process of
printing it. Moulton and Milligan didn't publish their _Vocabulary_ until
1914 and then only the first part of it. It was not finished until 1930.

 S. R. Llewelyn's _New documents Illustrating Early Christianity: a Review
of the Greek Inscriptions and Papyri, Volumes 1-8 published by The Ancient
History Documentary Research Centre at Australia's Macquarie University
might be considered as useful tools although it is not a lexicon proper.

Bauer's lexicon (1979 ed) shows a extensive usage of the papyri and I
understand the 3rd edition does even more in that direction.

At 01:16 AM 4/18/99, you wrote:
>Dear Fellow Greek-lovers,
>
>I just started teaching myself Greek recently, but I enjoy flipping through
>the pages of advanced books like Robertson's Grammar (it's a good source of
>"untidy input"). Robertson wrote that there was a need for a lexicon of
>the papyri and then of the entire Koine. Have either of these works been
>undertaken? If so, what are the names of the books?
>
>Pharamond
>
>---
>B-Greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek
>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: cierpke@utc.campuscw.net