Re: reading the NT- from a Greek worldview or a Hebrew???

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (
Date: Sun Apr 18 1999 - 15:39:17 EDT

Jim West wrote:

> [snip]

> What these volumes show is that it is neither "pretentious" nor inaccurate
> to say that the NT has its cradle in Judaism and not Hellenism.

So far as I can tell from a limited engagement with the series of posts on the topic,
no one has denied this. The issue--which ultimately is off topic for B-Greek--is not
whether the cradle of Christianity was Judaism or Hellenism but just how Hellenized
was the Judaism out of which Christianity sprang, and what are our criteria for
answering this. Curiously, if my nasty bout of flu permits, I'm off to hear Martin
Hengel speak today on this very topic.

Jeffrey Gibson

Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A