reading the NT- from a Greek worldview or a Hebrew???

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sun Apr 18 1999 - 14:42:54 EDT

Some on list have suggested that palestine in the first century CE was so
permeated by Hellenistic thought that one must understand the Gospels and
the other writings of the NT as virtually Hellenistic documents. I have
pointed out that there is precious little hard evidence for such a suppostion.

As reading material for those genuinely interested in the topic, I offer the
following:

"The Semitic Background of the New Testament", Joseph Fitzmyer,
(Eerdmans/Dove: 1997), esp. sections 2-4.

"An Aramaic Approach to the Gospels and Acts", Matthew Black.

"Arbeit Und Sitte in Palaestina", Gustaf Dalman, 7 vols.

"Grammar of the Greek New Testament", vol 4- "Style", Nigel Turner.

"Der Glaube im Neuen Testament", Adolf Schlatter.

"Light from the Ancient East", Adolf Deismann.

What these volumes show is that it is neither "pretentious" nor inaccurate
to say that the NT has its cradle in Judaism and not Hellenism.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- jwest@highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest