Re: reading the NT- from a Greek worldview or a Hebrew???

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 18 1999 - 17:54:09 EDT

At 4:10 PM -0400 4/18/99, Jim West wrote:
>At 02:39 PM 4/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
> Curiously, if my nasty bout of flu permits, I'm off to hear Martin
>>Hengel speak today on this very topic.
>>
>>Yours,
>>
>>Jeffrey Gibson
>
>Please do play amanuensis and let us know what he says.

Well, unless Hengel alters the stance he set forth in the two books he has
published on Hellenism and Judaism, I rather doubt that there's much
comfort to be had by anyone who wants to argue that first-century Judaism
was free from Hellenism or that it had ceased to be Jewish. But what I
found most fascinating of all in the two volume work of a decade ago,
Hellenismus u. Judaismus was his demonstration of the extent to which that
most conservative of sects, the Essenes, had been radically permeated with
Hellenistic ideas. But it seems to me that this is something altogether
different from the topic of the original objection to my diachronic
conception of the development of the voice system in ancient Greek
generally: what I'm still wanting to understand is how the Greek spoken and
written by NT writers, however deeply UN-Greek and fundamentally Hebrew
they may theoretically have been, is radically different from the Greek
spoken and written by their contemporaries elsewhere in the ancient
Mediterranean world.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu