RE: Translation Theories

From: David R. Mills (
Date: Thu Apr 22 1999 - 16:15:22 EDT

Tony Stark asked about translation theories. I don't know of any for formal equivalence, but two for dynamic equivalence are

E.A. Nida and C.R. Taber, The Theory and Practice of Translation (Leiden: E.J. Brill for the United Bible Societies), 1974.

E.A. Nida, Toward a Science of Translating (Leiden: E.J. Brill), 1964.

Both books used to be available from the American Bible Society, but I have no idea if they are now.

David R. Mills
ESL Instructor
Creighton University