Re: PANTES OU versus OU PANTES in 1 Cor 15:51

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 06:25:34 EDT

At 12:31 AM -0500 4/23/99, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
>Dear B-Greekers,
>
>In 1 Cor 15:51, we read
>PANTES OU KOIMHQHSOMEQA, PANTES DE ALLAGHSOMEQA.
>
>It is translated as "we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be
>changed". So, OU is taken to modify PANTES. The translation
>implies that some will sleep. Is it the right way to interpret
>the greek?
>
>Is there no difference between the above sentence and
>OU PANTES KOIMHQHSOMEQA, PANTES DE ALLAGHSOMEQA?

I'm not absolutely confident of this, but I rather think that the
resolution of the problem lies in the fact that PANTES is not a
substantival subject but predicative and therefore adverbial in both
clauses; it is, moreover, the emphatic element in both clauses, and I think
that's the primary reason why it takes first position in PANTES OU
KOIMHSOMEQA: "All of us inclusively (i.e. 100% of us) are NOT going to
sleep, but all of us inclusively (i.e. 100% of us) ARE going to undergo
transformation.."

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu