Does Mark 8:7 use an imperative infinitive' ?

From: Jay Adkins (JAdkins264@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 08 1999 - 10:10:09 EDT

Dear B-Greekers,

While I can find no translation to support of use of an ╬imperative
infinitive' in Mark 8:7, it seems to fit the context well. It appears to
be
not without support from the function of the infinitive itself.

The ╬imperative infinitive' is "especially frequent in Homer", and while it
"is not of very frequent occurrence" in the NT, "Moulton thinks that its
rarity in the New Testament is a "matter for surprise"(M. 180)." {Dana &
Mantey, page 216} "An infinitive may be used in a predicate structure,
serving the function of a finite verb such as an imperative (commanding
use). This is much more frequent in Greek outside of the NT...." {Porter,
page 201}

Have I missed something about the use of the infinitive as an imperative in
translating:

Mark 8:7 "KAI EICON ICQUDIA, KAI EULOGHSAS AUTA EIPEN KAI TAUTA
PARATIQENIA"

As follows;

8:7 They also had a few small fish, having blessed them, He said, "Now
serve these."

Jay Adkins,
Very Little Greek

---