RE: Pronunciation of Iesous

From: Bill Ross (
Date: Thu May 20 1999 - 09:54:27 EDT

More like EE-YA-SOUS where the double e's signify a long e sound and ya
signify almost an iota/yod vocalic.

Jim, are you sure it wouldn't be two vowels? I'd heard that when a word
begins with Iota, in actual practice it tends to be pronounced like a Y -
sort of like Yea-soos.

I think it should be pointed out that it is intended to sound like a Hebrew
Yod, there not being a corresponding letter in the Greek. It is, in reality,
a transliteration from Hebrew to Greek. Also, Yacob become Iakwb, etc.

It should further be noted that the path of corruption from a Y sound to a J
sound occurred from a similar transliteration factor from Greek to Latin
(where an "i" is written like a J) and German (where a J is pronounced as a
Y) and English (where we screw up everything).