Re: Eph. 2:15

From: Paul Zellmer (zellmer@cag.pworld.net.ph)
Date: Sat May 22 1999 - 08:11:21 EDT

CEP7@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/21/99 12:28:05 PM, zellmer@cag.pworld.net.ph writes:
>
> << On the surface, it appears to me as if the genitives and both
> prepositional phrases modify the verb, the genitives describing the
> source material, the EN phrase, giving the sphere (or perhaps agency),
> and the EIS phrase, the goal or end. The object of EIS is ANQRWPON,
> with hENA and KAINON being adjectives describing ANQRWPON. The direct
> object is never specifically stated. The construction as stated in
> English, with the necessary change of word order: "in order that he
> might, in him[self], create [a creation] into one new man out of the
> two."
>
> I realize it doesn't flow smoothly when we handle it strictly literally,
> but KTIZW doesn't take a genitive "direct object," and it would be even
> more difficult to make a prepositional phrase play that role. And the
> three actions expressed by the phrases *are* all of the same ilk (source
> material, sphere of activity, and final product). To have each be a
> modifier of the verbal action does seem to follow a common Pauline
> grammatical pattern, although we many times would expect to see EK on
> the genitive/ablative phrase.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Paul >>
>
> I would like to make a correction. TOUS DUO is accusative, not genitive, and
> therefore it serves as the direct object. The action of KTISHi is performed
> on the two.
>
> Charles Powell
> DTS
> cep7@aol.com

OOPS! I know, in this paperless age, that we can't pull out the scratchsheet
and produce proof of previous drafts, but that was exactly my first handling of
the passage. I should have stopped while I was ahead.

Which all goes to prove that (1) we shouldn't respond when we're too tired, and
(2) we should go with our first instincts.

Thanks for correcting me on such a basic error. Guess I'd better creep back
over to the sister list. (I only responded because Carl apparently didn't see
this question!)

And then, when I first sent this acknowledgement out, I forgot to change the address
to the list. I wish I were old enough to blame it on old age!

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Isabela, Rep. of Philippines

zellmer@cag.pworld.net.ph