Re: PRODROMOS in Heb 6:20

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 16:01:23 EDT

At 13:16 26/05/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm writing a paper which focuses on the range of possible meanings
>invoked by
>PRODROMOS in Heb 6:20. I've gone through the LXX (Num 13:21 first
>fruit; Isa 28:4
>figs; Wis 12:8 wasps) and have done some work with the TLG - it's also
>used of winds
>(Aristotle, Theophrastus, Pliny, Columella) and messengers (Herodotus),
>of scouts
>(Polybius) and ships (Alciphron). Later Christian writers tend to use
>it in
>connection with John the Baptizer.

Westcott, in his commentary ( Eerdmans' reprint 1984)
"The word PRODROMOS was used especially of the men or troops which were
sent to explore before the advance of an army. Comp. Wisdom 12:8 (Ex. 23:28 )

The EDNT in addition has a reference to Polybius 12.20.7

Hope this helps.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]