From: Edgar Krentz (
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 09:57:28 EDT

>Cindy Smith's brief reply to Ted's question is probably what most of us
>think of when we consider the ICQUS. However, I think what Ted was
>asking for, was historical support for the idea of the fish being an
>early Christian symbol. I must admit, I don't have the references--I
>have always accepted it a face value, since it "sounds right." How
>un-scholarly of me:)
F. Doelger published a five volume work under the title ICQUS back in the
1930s--in German. I own only the volume of plates. It would give you the
largest discussion.

There are also works on early Christian iconography. Try Graydon Snyder's

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 E. 55th Street