Re: Christian

Date: Mon May 24 1999 - 09:08:29 EDT

Ben, Denny Diehl here

> IMHO the term CRISTIANOI was meant as a derisory term

Several have said this, but I, for one, don't think that is a
necessary conclusion from the language. It is stated:

        MAQHTAS CRISTIANOUS" -Ac 11:26

CRHMATISAI is middle/passive which could give rise to either
"They were called" or "They called themselves" could it not?
Also, I don't see anything historically that would give any
indication that it began as a derisive term. Tacitus tells us:

        "Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened
        the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a
        class hated for their abominations, called Christians
        by the populace." -Ann xv.44

But this is quite late, and I wouldn't think this would give us any
indication as to the origination of the term "Christian".
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]