Re: to lay hands upon

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (
Date: Sun Aug 01 1999 - 15:10:03 EDT

I think it meant to arrest and a certain amount of physical coercion is
usually involved in an arrest (binding and such). If not directly then
indirectly through their delegated officers.

At 04:16 PM 08/01/1999 +0200, you wrote:
>7:30 ezhtoun oun auton piasai kai oudeis
>epebalen ep auton thn ceira oti oupw elhluqei
>h wra autou
>7:44 tines de hqelon ex autwn piasai auton all
>oudeis epebalen ep auton tas ceiras
>kai epebalon [tas] cei[ras] autwn ep auton oi [arcon]tes [in]a piaswsin
>kai par[adwsin] auton tw oclw. kai ouk e[dunanto] auton piasai oti oupw
>e[lhluqei] autou h wra ths parado[sews.]
>"And the rulers laid their hands upon him to seize him and hand him over
>to the crowd.
>And they could not take him because the hour of his arrest had not yet
>What does it mean to "lay hands upon him"? Do they have him physically
>in their hands? I don't think so.
>Best wishes
> Wieland
>Egerton Homepage:
>B-Greek home page:
>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as:
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>To subscribe, send a message to
Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX) (preferred) (alternate)