Re: Apostolic Fathers (was Didache)

From: Daniel L Christiansen (
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 10:54:09 EDT

"Maurice A. O'Sullivan" wrote:

> From I take this:
> The Apostolic Fathers : Greek Texts and
> English Translations
> by Michael W. Holmes (Editor)
> List Price: $24.99
> Our Price: $19.99
> You Save: $5.00 (20%)
> Paperback (August 1999)
> Baker Book House; ISBN: 0801022258
> This item will be published in
> August 1999. You may order it now
> and we will ship it to you when it arrives.
> Anybody on the list seen this yet, or know anything about it?

    Since it is not yet available, of course, I also am unfamiliar with the book;
however, it is apparently a revision of Holme's 1992 volume. The publisher claims
that it is an improvement on Lightfoot's study, making use of the approx 120 years
of textual research since that 5-volume set was printed.
    Certainly, an up to date treatment of the research is desirable, and it may very
well be a worthy complement to the earlier works. On the other hand, I have to
wonder whether any single volume (620 pages) could really hope to replace
Lightfoot's 3,000-page treatment.

Daniel L. Christiansen
Department of Bible
Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street
Portland, OR  97220
(Also Portland Bible College, Prof of Biblical Languages)