Re: Rom. 12:15 infinitives

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 11:59:49 EDT

At 11:32 AM 8/6/99 +0000, you wrote:

>> The participles contain the subject. The nature of participles is that they
>> are verbal nouns. Here the call is to rejoice with whoever rejoices and
>> weep with whoever weeps. Rather general and universalistic- but appropriate
>> none the less.
>This is misleading, I think. The subject of CAIREIN and of KLAIEIN is
>identical with the subjects of EULOGEITE and MH KATARASQE, inasmuch as
>these are, as Chris Hutson notes, imperatival infinitives.

All is right with the world!!! Carl and I disagree about something! And in
1967 they said God was dead.... :-)

Seriously- which part is misleading Carl? The fact that participles are
verbal nouns? The rather accurate rendering- rejoice with whoever rejoices
and weep with whoever weeps, or the note that this call is rather general.

I realize that the infinitives are imperatival- but that does not change the
function or meaning of the participles--- instead, it merely strengthens or
reinforces the participial idea.

Jim West, ThD
web page-