Re: Rom. 12:15 infinitives

From: Christopher Hutson (crhutson@salisbury.net)
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 12:27:31 EDT

Jim,

I'll let Carl say for himself what he found misleading, but I was confused
by your comment that "The participles contain the subject." The rest made
sense to me, but what did that mean? Surely the subject of the imperatives
in 12:14 and of the infinitives in 12:15 is an implied "you" (hMEIS or
hUMAS), which must be understood as the readers, a group distinct from the
group(s) described in the participles. Right? And then in 12:15, the
participles are the objects of prepositions (META). So how could they
"contain the subject" of the verbs? I don't understand what you were trying
to say here.

ERRWSO,

XPIC

Christopher R. Hutson