Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 10:07:44 EDT

To: Benjamin Raymond <>
From: "Carlton L. Winbery" <>
Subject: Re: Funk 3-volume set (was Task of Translation)
Cc: Biblical Greek <>

>At 01:08 PM 8/9/99 -0500, Carlton wrote:
>>I agree with the resources Carl has recommended, especially Smyth. For the
>>person who thinks about ever teaching Greek, you should know the history
>>which means Deissman, Robertson and many others. Robert Funk's three volume
>>work plus the workbook has been very useful to me as a teacher. The aspect
>>gurus are really doing us older heads a service, though we do not always
>>see why we need to learn a whole new vocabulary.
>Do you have any other info on Funk's 3-volume set? I'm assuming that it must
>be the same as the "Beginning-Intermediate" volumes (labeled I,II, and III)
>that I found not to long ago at a used bookstore in Cambridge.

Yes, A Beginning-Intermediate Grammar of Hellenistic Greek, R.W. Funk

>I'm wondering:
>1. Is the workbook you mention part of this collection that I'm still missing
>(and still in print)?

I'm not sure, I got my workbook with the first edition. It's Workbook for
A Beginning-Intermediate Grammar of Hellenistic Greek IV, Lane C. McGaughy

>2. How does this relate to Funk's work with Blass/Debrunner?

Very different. All except Vol II focuses primarily on Morphology and even
the Syntax of Vol. II is organized differently than B-D. I find Funk much
easier to use.

>3. Any more specific impressions you might share?

Thorough, excellent for teachers who want to have answers to students
questions and their own questions.