Re: Word For Evil

From: Garland H Shinn (ghshinn@home.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 10:53:11 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Burris <CaptFuchida@webtv.net>
To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Tuesday, August 24, 1999 3:17 AM
Subject: Word For Evil

Kakos= from what I see is an evil one can be involved in or better yet
"can become"; ie 1 Thess 5:15

Poneros= from what I understand is the desire intent to cause, or commit
evil. or " a desire to commit evil that is already in you".

Thus, from my studies, I concluded, "Kakos" is an evil one can become,
where as "Poneros" is an evil one already is. 1 Thess 5:22

Please help me expand on this since I do teach Bible on "Local=access
cable here in Long Beach Ca.

I concluded with the word "Poneros="an evil that is already in you,
because "Apecho"= to hold off, keep away, has implied in 1Thess 5:22 to
keep away or stop practicing an evil, one is already committing.

Which leads me to Dokimazo =Prove, test, examine, Katecho= to hold on

and of course "eidos"= form, kind, class, "species" (or variety)
[appearance-kjv= which in Latin meant "species" from the Vulgate
"Specie"]

My study has been around 1 Thess 5:21-22

Thk you

Dave Burris

You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: ghshinn@home.com
To unsubscribe, forward this message to
leave-b-greek-329W@franklin.oit.unc.edu

Trench, in his dated, but still valuable book Synonyms of the Greek New Testament, says a couple of things about the distinction between these two words:

"In poneros the positive activity of evil comes far more decidedly out than in kakos. . ." pg. 295

"The kakos may be content to perish in his own corruption, but the poneros is not content unless he is corrupting others as well, and drawing them into the same destruction with himself." pg. 296.

"An instructive line in Euripides (Hecuba, 596), testifies to the Greek sense of a more inborn radical evil in the man who is poneros than in the kakos: ho men poneros ouden allo plen kakos. A reference to the context will show that what Euripides means is this, namely, that a man of an evil nature (poneros) will always show himself base in act (kakos)." pg. 296.

Garland Shinn Professor Southern California Bible College & Seminary