Re: Luke 10:13 - Woe?

From: Paul Zellmer (
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 18:52:28 EDT

Carl W. Conrad wrote

> At 12:55 PM -0500 8/24/99, Joseph Brian Tucker wrote:
> >Greetings
> >

> >In an effort to capture the color and force of OUAI, the Scholars
> >of the Jesus Seminar translates OUAI SOI BHQSAIDA "Damn you,
Bethsaida!" At
> >the expense of trying to be current, the use of "damn" loses, not the
> >of anger, but certainly the sense of the gravity and pain conveyed by
> >original OUAI. As O. Betz notes such, "vulgarizing" destroys the
> >thrust of Jesus' words. (_Theologische Literaturzeitung_ 119 (1994),
> >11, p. 989).
> >
> >What is the best understanding of OUAI and can someone provide
another way
> >to capture the original color and force of the OUAI?
> Well, of course one can go back to "Woe to you!" or you might use
"Curse you!"
> But my own feeling about this is that just how strong "Damn you!" is
> thought to be may depend upon the sensitivity of the reader or
listener to
> the word rather than to any implicit meaning in the word. This IS an
> onomatopoetic word isn't it that is expressive by virtue of its very
> it is the exact equivalent of the Latin VAE and it isn't far removed
> the older Hebrew, the later Yiddish OY, Oyveh, the Greek OI or OIMOI

Carl, in this light, is it then basically the same as the German ACH?
If that is the case, then the equivalent in my sub-dialect of
Mid-Western American Conservative Christian (as best as I can describe
the influences) would be AAARGH! "Damn you" doesn't show nearly the
frustration with the deficiencies of language to describe the feeling.

Paul Zellmer