Re: b-greek digest: September 02, 1999

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 10:00:22 EDT

Phil Sanders wrote:

> I have been assigned the task of talking about the task of translations to a
> small rural church. I felt that giving some history of translations and
> some background on the methods of translation would be a wise start. I have
> been investigating several books, including Metzger's, Text of the New
> Testament; Comfort's, The Quest for the Original Text; and Carson's, King
> James Version Debate. I also am looking at books by Jack P. Lewis.
> What books would you recommend for such a study?

If you're looking for accessible studies on the task and theory of translation as
well as a comparison on the theory behind influential English translations, may I
recommend S,. Kubo' and W.F. Specht _So Many Versions?_ and a little out of print gem
from Paulist Press called _The Bible: An Owner's Manual_. Also, if the KJV only issue
comes up, have a look at D.A. Carson's _The King James Version Debate_.

Jeffrey Gibson

Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A
Chicago, Illinois 60626