Phi 2:1Question

From: David A Bielby (
Date: Sun Sep 05 1999 - 23:14:50 EDT

Paraklesis typically is translated as encouragement or comfort in Phi
2:1. I've been intrigued by AT Robertson's view that it should be
translated, ["ground of appeal to you in Christ." See 1Co 1:10; Eph
4:1]....from Word Pictures.

I can see a clear contextual reason from the letter for this...people
facing persecution would be praying for deliverance, and would probably
have testimonies of answered prayer in that it would make sense
as a first class conditional phrase. The Philippians would feel a need
for God's love to comfort them in light of persecution. So, I can see a
sequence with the next phrase being translated as "comfort of love".

But none of the major translations treat this phrase that way. Is there a
clear reason for this?

David Bielby
Normal, IL USA