Phi 2:1Question

From: David A Bielby (dbielby@juno.com)
Date: Sun Sep 05 1999 - 23:14:50 EDT

Paraklesis typically is translated as encouragement or comfort in Phi
2:1. I've been intrigued by AT Robertson's view that it should be
translated, ["ground of appeal to you in Christ." See 1Co 1:10; Eph
4:1]....from Word Pictures.

I can see a clear contextual reason from the letter for this...people
facing persecution would be praying for deliverance, and would probably
have testimonies of answered prayer in that vein...so it would make sense
as a first class conditional phrase. The Philippians would feel a need
for God's love to comfort them in light of persecution. So, I can see a
sequence with the next phrase being translated as "comfort of love".

But none of the major translations treat this phrase that way. Is there a
clear reason for this?

Thanks.

David Bielby
Normal, IL USA