Re: LXX - Num 11:25

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 16:46:22 EDT

<x-flowed>At 13:50 14/09/99 -0500, you wrote:
>The KJV and Young's "Literal" Translation have it to be, "and did not cease"
>But, most everyone else has it as something like, "and did not again"
>I'd like to hear some thoughts on the reasoning behind each.

Why, i wonder, do you connect the English translation with the LXX rather
than the Masoretic Text?

In the Hebrew, it is very definitely " and did not do it again" --- the
verb is yod-samak-peh, with the basic meaning of " add, increase" and in
col. 414b/415a Brown, Driver, Briggs specifically assigns the meaning "and
did not do it again" to Nu. 11:25, Dt. 5:19

If you check with Brenton's LXX and parallel English you will find that
he has translated " they prophesied and ceased "

Have you checked LSJ ( you can do so online at the Perseus web-site:

where you will find definition of PROSTIQHMI III 5 stating:
" in LXX and NT, continue or repeat an action,"

Brenton's text and translation are outdated, but still a lot better for
checking out your translation of the LXX than depending on any translation
of the MT>

Hope this helps

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]