Re: Translation?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 07:09:50 EDT

At 6:51 AM -0400 9/13/99, Rodney J. Decker wrote:
>Thanks to Maurice for his reference to the Biblica articles. On those
>pages, there are two words as part of the contents/headings that I do not
>understand (though the rough sense is obvious; they're probably in the
>print edition also, but I've managed to ignore them there!):
>"Animadversiones" and "Commentationes." Would someone enlighten me?

These terms equate roughly with English "Observations" and "Discussions"
respectively, but my inclination is to think that the difference between
the two is not as clear-cut as that; in some sense the "Animadversiones"
appear to be more subjective or opinionated while the "Commentationes" are
more solidly grounded in a methodology of demonstration or proof. And
yet--I can't escape the sense that length of the article and what's in the
eye of the beholder have as much to do with the difference between the two
categories as any solid objective criteria.

I guess that means I'm as puzzled as you are, Rod. I don't really think the
Latin terms are being used in any very strict sense, but it may be there's
a strict sense that just eludes me (I get that feeling often enough when
reading a Latin text too, I might add!).

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu