Re: basileuousin

From: Jonathan Robie (
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 21:39:06 EDT

<x-flowed>At 05:34 PM 9/25/99 -0500, David A Bielby wrote:
>I'm now curious about AT Robertson's comments on this verse:
>Rev 5:10 They reign (basileuousin). Present active indicative,
>futuristic use, though Aleph P have the future basileusousin (shall
>reign) as in 20:6. {from Word Pictures}
>Why would he classify this as Present tense? Is there anyone today who
>would agree with this classification?

Well, BASILEUOUSIN is a present tense form, and BASILEUSOUSIN is a future
tense form. Some manuscripts have the one, some have the other. As
Robertson notes, the present indicative can be used with a future meaning.
This happens in English, too. consider the following sentence:

         I am going to school tomorrow.

Although "am going" is a present progressive, it is clearly being used for
a future action.