Re: Is TEMPUS A Part of Greek Grammar?

From: David A Bielby (
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 18:34:46 EDT

<> >writes:
> Recently while reading Rev. 5:10, I came across the
> term BASILEUSOUSIN, which is supposed to be future
> "tense." Or is it? While certain grammarians insist
> that the future tense is the only tense
> grammaticalized in Greek, others have suggested that
> the future tense is in reality--future aspect. If this
> claim is true, how does this impact the exegesis of
> Rev. 5:10c?

> Edgar Foster
> Classics Major
> Lenoir-Rhyne College

I'm now curious about AT Robertson's comments on this verse:

Rev 5:10 They reign (basileuousin). Present active indicative,
futuristic use, though Aleph P have the future basileusousin (shall
reign) as in 20:6. {from Word Pictures}

Why would he classify this as Present tense? Is there anyone today who
would agree with this classification?

David Bielby
Vineyard Christian Fellowship
Bloomington/Normal, Illinois USA