Re: difficult text

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 16:57:25 EDT

At 11:24 PM -0600 10/4/99, Felipe Flores-Morelos wrote:
>I'm trying to translate the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom, and I
>find a difficult text, maybe someone whishes to help me a little:
>Te text is TA SA EK TON SON SOI PROSFEROMEN KATA PANDA KAI DIA PANDA (ta
>sa ek twn swn soi prosferomen kata panta kai dia panta) , Thanks.

I think this is "What is yours (TA SA) from what is yours (EK TWN SWN) we
offer to you (SOI PROSFEROMEN) on every occasion (KATA PANTA) and for
every reason (DIA PANTA)."

There may be other accounts of the phrases KATA PANTA and DIA PANTA.
Another way to express the idea, as I understand it, and in English that
better fits normal English usage is: "Whatever we offer you, whatever the
occasion and whatever the reason that we offer it, it belongs to you and
comes from you."

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu